Deus Ex: Human Revolution Soundtrack - Augmented Edition Review


  • Name: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition Soundtrack
  • Label: Square Enix
  • Composer(s): Michael McCann
  • Number of Tracks: 12

Before I get into the review, thought I'd just raise the caveat that the soundtrack I'm talking about is the Augmented Edition soundtrack. I've just discovered that there is also a separate (more complete) soundtrack you can grab off iTunes, but since I don't use iTunes, it's not really going to matter to me!

Anyway, as I mentioned, I managed to grab this soundtrack from purchasing the Augmented Edition of Deus Ex: Human Revolution which is an extra $10 more than the standard edition (you also manage to get other bonus content so the value of the soundtrack is probably more like $5). There aren't many tracks on this soundtrack, only 12 which is really more of a sampler, but most of the tracks you have here are pretty high quality, with the exception of the sleazy HongHua Brothel track that consists of women moaning. Sure the dance track is decent and I guess it's appropriate (it's a track about a brothel after all) just don't expect me to be blaring this track on full through my speakers!

Usually computer game soundtracks have lots of filler tracks but this isn't the case with the DX:HR Augmented Edition soundtrack, partly because it's a sampler, and partly because Michael McCann does an awesome job of setting the mood for a cyberpunk classic. All the music is electronica but they tend to incorporate a lot of orchestral and choral samples as well, giving an epic, futuristic, and almost spiritual feel to some of the tracks. Which would make sense, considering the game is all about deciding the fate of the human race - that's some pretty serious stuff right there!

My favourite tracks would have to be Icarus (the Main theme), the Main Menu theme, Detroit City Ambient Part 1, And Away We Go and Everybody Lies (which as you may note is almost half the album).









Score - 7/10

If you don't have Deus Ex: HR but are planning to get it, you can upgrade to the Augmented Edition to grab this soundtrack. Otherwise, it's a trip to iTunes to nab the more complete version :).

Comments